Posted on July 06, 2020
Solicitors’ practice, Murray Gillies & Wilson, transforms document workflow in response to coronavirus pandemic
To enable remote dictation and transcription of documents at home during lockdown.
Rapid set up of Cloud-based dictation and transcription system enabled the team to access files anywhere.
- Fee earners can record and review dictations anywhere
- Support staff can log in anywhere via their browser to type dictations
- Working efficiently from home enables business continuity.
“Voice Technologies’ outstanding professionalism and support enabled us to adapt our document workflow system quickly… they were with us every step of the way….”
Gordon Robertson, Senior Partner, Murray Gillies & Wilson
Murray Gillies & Wilson solicitors, based in Irvine, Ayrshire, is a long-established practice specialising in private client and related work. The firm’s typed correspondence was created by solicitors using a handheld microphone with a docking station. After recording their dictations, they would allocate the job of transcribing via an internal server pathed interface.
The system involved the dictating solicitor placing a handheld microphone in a docking station and allocating work to a team of transcribers via an internal server-pathed interface. This set up mean that sharing dictations recorded remotely was not possible. When lockdown in the UK occurred in March 2020 in response to the coronavirus pandemic, there was an overnight need for dictations and transcriptions to be handled from the team’s homes.
Voice Technologies immediately responded with a system that enables the firm’s fee earners and support staff to access and process dictations from home. As the team was already working from home, we made sure that the transition to the new system was as smooth as possible by deploying an interface that firm’s users were already familiar with – Philips SpeechExec – for dictation and transcription.
To manage dictations and transcriptions we set up a cloud-based dictation workflow solution - Philips SpeechLive – which enables the team to control the entire dictation workflow via browser or mobile app giving them the flexibility needed during lockdown and beyond.
Typists can now access, playback and transcribe recordings from anywhere and dictation files can be assigned a status so they can be prioritised appropriately.
In keeping with our end-to-end service, Voice Technologies’ technical team provided remote training sessions.
Highest security standards
Security was a key feature when selecting a system as the firm deals with sensitive and confidential documents daily. The system we provided guarantees the highest levels of file protection to keep confidential data safe from unauthorised access:
- Automatic backup to protect data against accidental loss
- Storage of recordings in the cloud, safe from computer crashes, loss of internet connection or accidental deletion of dictation files from a device
- Double encryption by using highly secure and industry standard HTTPS protocol
- Always up-to-date security certificates.
Benefits of the new system
The system enables a completely remote workflow solution, maximising the firm’s billable time and enhancing customer service by streamlining efficiency.
- Rapid, straightforward set up for remote users
- Flexible, cloud-based system accessible via browser or mobile app
- Highly secure online storage with double encryption and automatic back-up
- Frees-up fee-earners’ time by making the firm’s dictation workflow accessible anywhere.